Soweto Arts and Craft
Soweto Art and Craft Development is a hub for over 60 creatives based in Soweto to as far as Pretoria and the Vaal. It was established in 2013. The main aim of the organisation is to develop, promote and enhance entrepreneurs within the creative sector. The hub focuses on Brand Development, Business Development, Access to New Markets, Marketing, Events and Art Education.
Challenges Being Faced During COVID-19
Our business is all about giving the working class a wonderful experience in an environment where they can freely enjoy themselves with family and friends at the same time be exposed to locally made products (supporting local)
- Vendors not being able to afford material nor even pay for stall fee.
- Certain key areas of business are now compromised due to lack of funds e.g. Website, bank account, staff payments, outstanding payments to service provides and financial target to maintain the business.
- Lack of disposable income will lead to less audience attending our events.
- Our year plan is being compromised. This means we are unable to reach our objectives and targets.
- Uncertainties around whether our model of business world still work after the lockdown
- Our normal challenges are now amplified due to the current situation.
Overall this current situation has disrupted the moment gained by most businesses that we work with and connects that we have made are now in jeopardy of falling out or delaying.
What Will The Donations Be Used For?
Funds will be used to assist further development of our website, staff payments and to maintain the financial integrity of our business model as currently, we are unable to host any events.
How does our work impact the community/give-back?
Soweto Art and Craft Development already work with community and other NGO around Soweto like Rena le lona creative Centre for kids and recently Soweto Basketball and Recreational Academy. We buy groceries for assisting them in buying groceries for their young members during lockdown.
- Our greatest achievement is in our 7 years of existences, we have managed to create more than 1 platforms (events) in deferent locations for our creative entrepreneur to present their brand on a monthly basis
- In 2015 we received an award from Jozi Fm as the best businesses in the Arts or creative industry.
- Curating synopsis of famous African musicians for Afro Café